Have you ever just woken up in a bad mood for no reason? I have. No one wants to be around me when I’m cranky, even me! Here are my no fail ways to cheer up already!!
1. Exercise. To beat a bad mood, I like serious cardio. Kickboxing or Zumba are my go to’s, but do something you like. I know, you don’t want to, do it anyway. It works. You could even just put on music and dance. Jump rope, whatever you like that gets your heart pumping.
“Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don’t just shoot their husbands. They just don’t.“-Elle Woods in Legally Blonde
2. Get outside. Getting some fresh air and some sunshine is a great mood changer. Vitamin D! You could run outside and combine 1 and 2. I don’t enjoy running, so I just take a walk. You could garden if you enjoy it, just take a drive with the windows open, or walk the dog.
3.Eat citrus fruits. I have no idea what the science behind this is, but when I eat an orange or grapefruit, my mood improves. The smell of oranges or grapefruit always brings a smile to my face.
4. Listen to happy music. When I’m in a bad mood, I want to listen to angry music, but don’t give in. If I listen to music that makes me want to dance, I cheer up. Anything by Prince, Britney Spears,Gorillaz, Modest Mouse. They play Baby got back by Sir Mix Alot at weddings for a reason.( are you smiling yet?)
5. Have sex. You can’t be angry after an orgasm, just try to prove me wrong…
6.Watch a funny movie or tv show. I like stand-up comedy, but whatever works for you. The movie Central Intelligence is pretty hilarious. Bob’s Burgers, the Simpsons, The Mick,are all tv shows that might cheer you up. Everyone has a different sense of humor though, so maybe my suggestions won’t work for you, but something will.
7. Do something just for you that you enjoy. Read a book, get a manicure, get your hair done, shop, work on cars, draw, paint,taxidermy,model trains… whatever your hobbies are. No judgement.
8. Turn your phone off and have a conversation with someone. Ask about their day. Focusing on someone else can bring you out of your head. It also makes you a better friend when you’re not always talking about yourself. They might even say something funny!!
9.Wear comfortable clothes.If you’re wearing something itchy or restrictive it won’t make your mood any better. Put on your favorite outfit.
10.Take a nap and restart your day. Maybe you’re just tired. It’s a great way to start over with a new attitude.
Let me know your bad mood busters